Karen shackelton, second grade teacher
Bio: Mrs. Shackleton spent most of her childhood in Sault Ste. Marie, leaving to attend the University of Michigan where she earned a degree in political science in 1988. She returned to the Sault to marry her husband, Scott. While working at Lake Superior State University she earned a second degree in history. Mrs. Shackleton came to St. Mary’s Catholic School by way of her children, Henry and John, who are both alumni of St. Mary’s and who are now pursuing their academic careers in the Boston area.
Mrs. Shackleton has taught Spanish and Latin, been the school librarian, and now 2nd grade teacher. She’s enjoyed every experience because it involves learning and sharing the joy of learning with children.The Shackletons are active members of St. Joseph’s parish. In her spare time Mrs. Shackleton helps manage the family business, Tanglewood Marsh Golf Course. She also enjoys reading, spending time with family, playing cards and board games, watching basketball, and traveling.
Ms. Turner, second grade assistant
Miss Turner is currently attending LSSU and planning on entering the field of elementary education. Miss Turner attends Holy Name of Mary Parish and is one of the teachers of the student faith formation program.
- Memorization of Scripture verses
- Prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Grow in understanding of Mary
- Understand that God loves us, Jesus brings us God’s forgiveness, and the Holy Spirit helps us to make good choices
- Deeper understanding of the Sacraments of Baptism and Reconciliation
- Recite Grace After Meals, Act of Contrition, and Fatima prayers
- Study of the Saints
- The Legend of Mackinac Island
- Sarah, Plain & Tall
- The Velveteen Rabbit
- The Emperor’s New Clothes
- Little House in the Big Woods