Karen shackelton, second grade teacher
Bio: Mrs. Shackleton spent most of her childhood in Sault Ste. Marie, leaving to attend the University of Michigan. After graduation, she returned to the Sault to marry her husband, Scott. Mrs. Shackleton came to St. Mary’s Catholic School by way of her children, Henry and John, who are both alumni of St. Mary’s and who are now pursuing their academic careers in the Boston area.
Mrs. Shackleton has taught Spanish and Latin, been the school librarian, and now 2nd grade teacher. She’s enjoyed every experience because St. Mary’s is a nurturing environment for students to grow in faith and academics. The Shackletons are active members of St. Joseph’s parish. In her spare time Mrs. Shackleton enjoys reading, spending time with family, playing cards and board games, watching basketball, and traveling.
- Memorization of Scripture verses
- Prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Prepare for the Sacrament of First Holy Communion
- Grow in understanding of Mary
- Understand that God loves us, Jesus brings us God’s forgiveness, and the Holy Spirit helps us to make good choices
- Deeper understanding of the Sacraments of Baptism and Reconciliation
- Recite Grace After Meals, Act of Contrition, and Fatima prayers
- Study of the Saints
- The Legend of Mackinac Island
- Sarah, Plain & Tall
- The Velveteen Rabbit
- The Emperor’s New Clothes
- Little House in the Big Woods