JIM MODELSKI, fifth grade teacher
Bio: Mr. Modelski attended Macomb Community College where he received an Associate in Applied Science in Respiratory Care. He then worked at Children’s Hospital in Detroit for 36 years. During his career he worked in the neonatal and pediatric intensive care units. He was a member of the helicopter and ambulance transport teams. He also was a member of the heart lung (ECMO) by-pass team. He helped teach other therapists, nurses, and physicians.
During his tenure he decided to go back to school and received his Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education while working full time. He majored in math and science. He and his wife, Kathy, have two grown children. Their daughter helps run the U.P.S. division in St. Louis and their son graduated from Yale and went back to become a lawyer.
Mr. Modelski retired a couple of years ago and he and his wife moved to Sugar Island where they enjoy the outdoor life and fishing. Mr. Modelski enjoys astronomy and has dark skies to appreciate. Mr. and Mrs. Modelski attend Sacred Heart Church where Father Sebastian mentioned to Mr. Modelski that there was a need for a third- grade teacher.
Mr. Modelski says, “A doctor mentioned to me that to teach is to learn things twice. I can appreciate that advice as I have attempted to instill in my students the beautiful and interesting world that we live upon. The students at St. Mary’s live a varied and blessed life. I enjoy attempting to instill in them an appreciation of their world”.
- Memorization of Scripture verses
- Memorize and recite The Angelus
- Know we are made in God’s image and likeness, with intellect and will (two powers of the soul), and that God wants us to live in communion with him but does not force us to do so
- Know sanctifying grace is how we share in God’s life and it is what makes us holy
- Know sin is any intentional thought, word, deed, or omission that breaks God’s law
- Study of the Saints
- Tales from the Odyssey
- Esperanza Rising
- Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Jackie Robinson
- Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes