Attached here is a letter from Mark Salisbury, the Superintendent of Diocese of Marquette Catholic Schools. Within it you will find information pertaining to the Diocese of Marquette Catholic Schools, wearing masks, and Phase 4. Please take a few moments to read it. Thank you.
Mr. Salisbury indicated students in some of the diocesan schools have tested positive for COVID-19 which resulted in five classes among various schools being quarantined for a period of time. Please know, St. Mary’s is not one of these schools. Our school families will be notified of a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 amongst students, teachers, staff members, volunteers, or any other person who was present on school property.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services issued an epidemic order on Monday, October 5, 2020 which may be found here. Additional information you may find helpful is the Emergency Order Under MCL 333.2253 – Reporting of Confirmed and Probable Cases of COVID-19 at Schools.
Finally, SMCS COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan may once again be found here. We will be moving into the SMCS Phase 4 plans starting Monday, October 12, 2020. A couple of weeks back to help prepare for this change I had indicated differences that were the most notable between our Phase 5 and Phase 4 plans. Again, I note them below.
- All students and school personnel will wear masks
- All school personnel and students in grades preschool and up will wear facial coverings when in indoor hallways and common areas; students will wear masks when using the restrooms
- All teachers and students in grades Kindergarten and up will wear facial coverings in classrooms.
- Students will eat lunch in the classroom or outside weather permitting
- The After school Program will cease.
Accommodations for off-campus instruction
- Students in Kindergarten and up unable to participate in on-campus classes with their in-person classmates, due to either home quarantine or parent preference, will be provided course resources to maintain coursework.
As some of you are aware, another local school in the Sault announced this morning they are closing the school due to “one probable COVID-19 case”. We keep that individual and school in our prayers.
Please continue to check the temperature of your child(ren) before they leave for school. If your child is not feeling well, keep him/her home. Please reinforce and remind your child(ren) of the importance of proper handwashing, coughing or sneezing into elbows, using a tissue when needed, using hand sanitizer, etc. and we will at school as well.
Please keep SMCS, its students, teachers, staff, and school families in your prayers, and know you and your families are in mine.